Taken from the Rectors List on display in the church and brought up to date
|1312||Abbey of Malmesbury ||Gllychardus de Pardy|
|1331||The King, for Abbey of Malmesbury ||John de Badmington|
|1344||Wm. De Bohun, Earl of Northampton||John de Batisford |
on death of J.de B.
|1346||The King, for Abbey of Malmesbury||John de Bishopston|
|1361||The King, for Abbey of Malmesbury||Richard de Hatheleseye|
|Unknown||Unknown||William Louedere ||Probably instituted between 1364-137x, during which time there is a long deficiency in the Episcipal Registers. Rector of Rushall 1383-1392. Rector of Mildenhall 1393-1404.|
|1383||Abbey of Malmesbury||Richard Benet||by exchange with W.L.
Rector of Rushall 1373-1383
|1383 ||Abbey of Malmesbury||William Odecombe ||by exchange with R.B. Vicar of Wodesden, Lincoln Diocese 1355.|
|1384||Abbey of Malmesbury||John de Malton||by exchange with W.O. Rector of Cricklade St. Sampson 1403-|
|1403||Abbey of Malmesbury||Walter Lambard||by exchange with J. de M. Rector of Cricklade St. Sampson 1402-1403. It was probably about this time that the existing Nave and Tower of the Church, and the Chancel (since replaced) were rebuilt.|
|1417 ||Abbey of Malmesbury||John Duffield||instead of W.L.|
|1419||Abbey of Malmesbury ||Alexander Sparwe||instead of J.D.|
|1421||Abbey of Malmesbury||Walter Tilleby||instead of A.S.|
|1422||Abbey of Malmesbury||Walter Bagge||instead of W.T.|
|1462 ||Cecilia, Mother of King Edward IV||John London||on death of W.B.|
|Unknown||Unknown||Richard Machon||Vicar of Minety 1471-1475. Rector of Crudwell 1478|
|1492 ||Abbey of Malmesbury||John Lychefield||on death of R.M.|
|1511||Abbey of Malmesbury||Thomas Hedd||on death of J.L.|
|1521 ||John and Thomas Huntbache ||Humfry Brockhurst||on death of T.H. Still Rector in 1535 at the time of the Valor Ecclesiastians.|
|1521||The Exempted Abbey of Meldun||John Walleis||This Institution was apparently invalid, the presentation having been granted to J.S.T. Huntbache.|
|1560||Isabella, Widow of Sir John Ayliffe, dec.||John Somerfield||on death of W.B.|
|1567||Richard Tanner by leave of John Ayliffe, gent||John White||on death of J.S.|
|Unknown||Unknown||Edward Hutchins ||Instituted between 1588-92 or 1596-7, during which times there were deficies in the Episcopal Registry. Preb of Sarum 1569-1629, and also Rector of Nettleton at the time of his death. Will PCC Ridley 1562, Brasenose College Oxford MA 1562, Fellow, a noted preacher|
|1629||Rowland Wilson of Longon, merchant, and Nicholas Crispe for this turn ||Tobias Crispe |
on death of E.H.
|A noted Puritan preacher. B.A. Christ’s College Cambridge 1624 M.A. Balliol College Oxford 1627. Died in London 27th February 1645. Buried St Mildred Broad Street. The Holy Table, the Silver Chalice and Flagon and the Pulpit were presented to the Church while he was Rector.|
|1643||Unknown||William Dowdeswell||on resignation of T.C. Pembroke College Oxford. ACL 1642. Canon of Worcester 1660-1678. Buried at Brinkworth May 1671.|
|1646||[During the Commonwealth]||John Harding||A.A. Intruded- Rector (1646-1669)
Magdelen College, Oxford. (“A most violent Presbytarian.”) M.A. 1823. Fellow and DD 1648.
|16–||Unknown||William Dowdeswell||Again obtains possession, and seems to have held the living until his death in 1673. (See Parish Register.)|
|Andrew Harris||This Institution does not appear in the Episcipal Registers, and he can only have been Rector a a few months. Probably Andrew Harris H.A. Christ Church College, Oxford 1635. Vicar of Stratfield Mortimer Berks, 1669|
|1—||George Ayliffe, Armiger||Francis Henry Cary||on cessation of A.H. M.A. Christ Church, Oxford 1669. Rector of Stow-nine Church, Northants 1666|
|1711||George Ayliffe, Armiger||Richard Copson||on death of F.H.C
Pembroke College, Oxford. M.A. 1709. In 1729 the Silver Salver was given to the Church
|1732||Judith Ayliffe, Spinster||William Thornton||on death of R.C.
Perhaps of Hart Hall, Oxford. M.A. 1708.
|1760||Rt. Hon. Henry Fox||Simon Crook||on death of W.T.
Queens College, Oxford. M.A. 1712. Rector of Foxley 1727-33 and of Bremhilham 1729-1760.
|1763||Rt. Hon. Henry Fox||James Sparrow||on death of S.C.
University College, Oxford. A.A. 1726. Rector of St. Swithins, Wa– for 40 years. Memorial Tablet there. Rector of Broughton Gifford 1745-1765. Preb of Sarum 1767-1770.
|1774 ||Lord Holland||Benjamin Blaney||on death of J.S.
Canon of Christ Church & D.D. 1757. Regius Professor of Hebrew 1787-1807. Rector of Poulshot 1735-1807
|1780||Henry Richard, Lord Holland||John Penton||on resignation of B.B. M.A. Cambridge. Died 12th October 1802. Buried in Abbey Church, Bath. Memorial Tablet there.|
|1841||Pembroke College, Oxford||Charles Wightwick||on death of M.M.
Pembroke College, Oxford. B.D. 1822. Fellow 1862. Wxx 1822. Rector of Pitney 1819.
|1861||Pembroke College, Oxford ||William de Quetteville||on death of C.W.
Pembroke College Oxford. M.A. 1854. Fellow 1851-62. The Chancel was rebuilt and the East Window fitted with stained glass while he was Rector.
|1896||Pembroke College, Oxford||Robert G. Livingstone||on resignation of W.L.Q. Pembroke College, Oxford. M.A. 1863. Fellow 1858-94. Dean & Hon. Canon of Bristol 1902. The Nave was restored and a new Organ placed in the Gallery and a sixth Bell added to the Church Peal during this Incumbency|
|1936 ||The Bishop of Bristol||Ronald Erskine Ramsay||on death of R.G.L.
M.A. Oxon, LLD Bristol. Consecrated first Bishop of Malmesbury 1927. Also Archdeacon of Swindon 1928.
|1950||The Bishop of Bristol||Leonard C. Cornwell||on resignation of R.E.R. M.A. Cambridge. B.D. London. Archdeacon of Swindon 1947.|
|1961||The Bishop of Bristol||Godfrey C. W. Wallis||on resignation of L.C.C. M.C. 1945. M.A. Oxon. Rector of Brinkworth with Dauntsey.|
|1972||The Bishop of Bristol||Gordon E. Boocock||on resignation of G.C.W.W.
Rector of Brinkworth with Dauntsey.
|1974||The Bishop of Bristol||Christopher L. Sutch||on death of G.E.B.
M.A. Oxon. Rector of Brinkworth with Dauntsey.
|1989-2012||The Bishop of Bristol||Derek Ormston||on resignation of C.L.S. DipTh. Rector of Brinkworth with Dauntsey, also Chaplain to New College Swindon. Church re-roofed.|
|2014-present||The Bishop of Bristol jointly with the Church Society Trust and Exeter College, Oxford||Stephen Wilkinson||on retirement of D.O. BEng, DipTh, Ridley Hall. Cambridge. Initially Priest-in-Charge, First Rector of the Woodbridge Benefice (Brinkworth, Dauntsey, Garsdon, Great Somerford, Little Somerford, Lea) from 2016. During this incumbency the bells were repaired and rehung, clock converted to electric winding 2016|