St James The Great, Dauntsey
St James The Great covers the parish of Dauntsey, 6 miles to the south east of Malmesbury in North Wiltshire.
The Parish Church possibly dates back to before the Norman Conquest, but is known to have been given away by Malmesbury Abbey in 1089, reclaimed in 1177, and gifted to the Lord of the Manor before 1263. It was named St. James the Great of Dauntsey in 1763. The church is home to one of only five surviving ‘Doom Boards’ in the country. This dates back to the 14th century and has recently been restored and put back to its former place in the church.
The Church is part of a thriving village community which includes two cricket teams, a computer club, WI and a monthly Afternoon Tea Club – please see the village website for more details.
Sunday services at St. James The Great, Dauntsey are based on traditional worship using the book of Common Prayer (BCP). They keep to the following monthly pattern:
Sunday of the Month Time Service
1st Sunday 9.30am Morning Prayer
2nd Sunday No Service Other than for seasonal exceptions
3rd Sunday 9.30am Morning Prayer or Holy Communion (Order 2, Contemporary Language)*
4th Sunday 10.30am Woodbridge Group-wide service at different churches in the Group by rotation
5th Sunday 9am Woodbridge Group-wide service at different churches in the Group by rotation
For the current service schedule, please click here.